Category Archives: community

100 years old today – Guldborgsund Public Library

Today is a very special day. In November 1913 local politicians decided to open a public reading room in Nykøbing Falster thereby making the decision and providing the funds that made it possible to open the doors to the first public library in the city 100 years ago today.

As the city’s most used cultural organisation we are proud to provide cultural experiences, learning environments, knowledge sharing and knowledge creation, debate and much more to our community. Today – and for the next 100 years to come.

We celebrate today with the rest of the city. There will be a lot of music, there will be storytime, there will be children’s theatre, book talks etc. – and there will be cake.

If you want to follow along we will be documenting the day on our Instagram profile

Hidden treasures – Gamification at Guldborgsund Public Library

gamification_300_Exciting treasure hunts in the urban space
In Nykøbing Falster, Guldborgsund Public Library invites local citizens and visitors of the city on interactive walks around the town as part of the project Hidden Treasures. Through their smart phone, ‘treasure hunters’ can have a new and different experience of the town and its history.

With the project Hidden Treasures Guldborgsund Public Library wants to meet people in the urban space in a fun and engaging way. We aim to turn the local cultural and literary history into a vivid experience. Through a series of riddles and problems, the inquisitive-minded will hopefully see the town in a new light.

The interactive walks offer three different themes: a trip back to explorer and author Peter Freuchens’ Nykøbing Falster in the 1920s; an insight into the town when author Knud Romer grew up in the 1970s; and a contemporary tour with focus on local food from Falster.

You can read more about the project on Tame The Web

Bringing the library outside

This is an amazing idea. In Denmark libraries at beaches has been done in Copenhagen (and other Danish cities) – I have not been able to find pictures, but I found this video (It´s in Danish)

Here are some pictures from a library at a beach in the Netherlands

My own library are mobile via bus, and sometimes we meet people like this – the Ladies in red. Amazing librarians meeting people all around the city.

We have the technology to lend out on location via mobile devices and we get good response.

I would also like to introduce one of my library heros Luis Soreano – making a huge difference for children by bringing them books with his mobile Donkey library in Colombia – reminding us about the importance of the library idea.

This post a slightly reworked comment to this post http://www.walkingpaper.org/2825 by @walkingpaper